Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Hot Chocolate Stains

Sometimes I too violently stir my hot chocolate. Spills everywhere. Just like my kids.

Some people think hot chocolate is a seasonal beverage, served only after frolicking in snowdrifts and stacking snowmen. I maintain that it’s desirable year-round, and savor the sweet nectar even in the heat of the summer.

Homemade hot chocolate is a lot better than instant, and does remain in my heart a cold weather-season drink. My mom and I would only make the from-scratch version on chilly fall or winter days after a day of yardwork or play. I loved coming in smelling like leaves, rain, or snow, and warming up to a warm mug of the stuff. We’d scoop it out with a large metal ladle into mismatched mugs and cups and watch smiles appear on red-cheeked faces.

Instant hot chocolate and its ever-presentness has spoiled the romance of this image a bit for me. I started seeing hot chocolate as an anytime treat somewhere between high school and college. Sometimes I just need sugar. And chocolate. And those little packets are inexpensive and ohsoconvenient.

The homemade version on winter days is still magical, but, like my kids, I can’t wait that long for it. I drink it almost every day. I just need to stir more slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment